9. Other Business
A. Staff update on current planning projects.
City of Greenville
Board of Zoning Appeals
Meeting & Public Hearing Overview
Welcome to the City of Greenville Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) meeting. The BZA is responsible for reviewing and taking action on special exception permits and variance requests, and hearing and deciding appeals take by any person aggrieved by a decision or interpretation of the administrator. The Board usually meets the second Thursday of each month, and as needed for special-called meetings.
For your convenience and to help you follow along with the meeting, an overview of the meeting procedure is provided below. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the process and locate the item(s) of interest to you on the agenda.
Public hearing rules and procedures:
- For each item, the Board will first hear the staff report and a presentation from the applicant.
- After the staff and applicant presentations, the chairperson will open the public hearing for public comment for that item. Comments in favor of the application are heard first, followed by those opposed.
- Any member of the audience wishing to comment has 3 minutes to do so. It is not necessary to sign up to speak beforehand. All comments must be made into the podium microphone located at the front of the center aisle.
- Begin by clearly stating your name and address for the record. Please spell your name if it is prone to being misspelled. The 3-minute timer will start after you have provided this information.
- Please do not repeat information already presented by someone else, and avoid off-topic statements. People sharing similar concerns are encouraged to appoint a spokesperson to speak on behalf of the group.
- All comments and questions must be directed to the chairperson, who will respond or direct the question to the appropriate party for response.
- After all comments are offered, the chairperson will close the public comment for that item. Once closed, no additional public comments will be heard.
- After the public comment portion, the Board members will deliberate amongst themselves. A decision will usually be rendered at this meeting; however, the item may be deferred to provide additional time to revise the application, provide supplemental information, etc.
Written comments and materials intended for the board members should be given to a staff member for distribution before the meeting begins. Any comments that were submitted to the Planning office prior to the meeting have already been provided to with the members for their review and consideration.
Public meeting disclosure: All written comments and materials submitted to the Planning Office or BZA, as well as audio recordings of public hearings, are considered public record and subject to FOIA requests under the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act. In addition, all public meetings are open to the press and may covered or recorded by the media.
Thank you for attending the BZA meeting. Public participation in the planning process helps the City make informed decisions about growth and development in our community.
Please contact the Planning Department at (864) 467-4476 with any questions about this agenda as well as those for upcoming meetings. Visit our website at https://greenvillesc.gov/172/Planning-Zoning for more detailed information about specific agenda items.
The BZA is comprised of volunteers appointed by City Council. When selecting members for the board, Council strives to ensure a broad range of interests and viewpoints are represented. Current and previous board members have served with professional backgrounds in residential and commercial development, architecture, law, engineering, real estate, and more. Standard board terms are 3 years. If you are interested in serving on the BZA or another City board, please apply online at https://greenvillesc.gov/478/Boards-Commissions.